Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Vintage Shirting & Dress Prints Goes Patriotic

When we saw Janie McCombs' pennant quilt on Instragram, we fell in love. She used Barbara J. Eikmeier's Vintage Shirting & Dress Prints collection to make this patriotic quilt--deep reds, light and dark blues, and creams, in rows of triangle pennants. Janie was kind enough to let us share her quilt here as well, so our Inspired by Fabric friends could see it too. 


Q. Tell us about the pattern.
JM: I chose a pennant pattern so I could show off each of the fabrics in the collection. A pennant quilt has triangles that require offset points when you piece them together. Offsetting points is not an easy task, even when you have been a quilter for more than 25 years. My seam ripper was within reach a lot during the piecing of this quilt!

Q. Why did you decide to use the Vintage Shirting and Dress Prints fabrics for this quilt?
JM: The Vintage Shirtings prints have deep colors and light colors that coordinate beautifully with each other. The subtle prints--flowers, swirls, paisleys, and circles—added interest to the pennant shapes. I have been trying to figure out what to do with the collection for a while, and as I was cutting the fabrics for my quilt I knew I had chosen a good pattern. I really had fun creating this quilt!




Q. How are you using this quilt?
JM: For now I have the quilt hanging in my home. I think it looks patriotic so I will leave it up through the 4th of July.

Q. Any advice you’d give other quilters after making this quilt?
JM: Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, try new patterns, and above all else enjoy the process. We are much harder on our work than we really need to be.


See the entire Vintage Shirting & Dress Prints collection by Barbara J. Eikmeier here and ask for it at your local quilt shop.
See more of Janie's work by following her on Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to feature wonderful prints! I've been wanting to try this type of triangle.

    ReplyDelete